Last weekend I got the urge to dye up some yarn and roving. B gave me some lovely acid dyes more than a year ago (eek, more than 2 years ago?) and I decided to take the plunge! I also wanted to explore the way Wilton’s black icing food coloring “breaks” in interesting multicolored ways, to see if I could get a very dark result reminiscent of Blue Moon’s Raven Clan colorways. I found a wonderfully scientific post from another curious “Breaking Black” dyer, and got the idea to do a low-acid dyebath first, then refresh with more dye and add a good amount of vinegar. (Technical notes are at home, I’ll add them in later!)
Here was the result, which is oddly hard to photograph:
Pretty pleased with how dark it turned out! And I also love the microwave method, I just wish I could cram more yarn into my microwave to do larger batches.
The acid dye was also interesting! I got separate tools for the dye, and a reusable face mask for mixing the powder, and here’s the result! (more technical notes later!)
I call it Brushfire. I wanted to get some dark browns and reds with some bright shots of orange and yellow and sky blue! I think it turned out pretty great. Spinning shots to come!