I finished up all sorts of things this weekend. I got the Velveteen Vest to a fitting place, and I also finished up the Butterfly Bloomers with Bows for a friend’s costume.
(Spoiler Alert! Friend for whom I am making the Butterfly Bloomers with Bows! There will be pictures further down!)
So, the Velveteen Vest. Velveteen is a bit of a pain to work with, but having fought epic battles with velvet before, it wasn’t quite as bad. Sure, it squirms its way out of the places you want it to stay, but much less so than its silk/rayon fully napped cousin. And I can iron it quite safely on the wrong side at high heat, and I use a damp little towel as a pressing cloth for the right side, and so far no ill effects.
It’s looking pretty good! I still haven’t figured out why the side front piece has that odd join at the underarm. Don’t know if it was a cutting error on my part, could be a dart miscalculation on the pattern drafter’s part, but I’m not overly worried about it.
It’s a BurdaStyle pattern, and with their new site design, there doesn’t seem to be a way to comment on the patterns anymore. I’ve had some big problems with them and their new site, but maybe that’s because I know a little more about the behind-the-scenes web design and development work than their average user. There were some really dumb mistakes, which I gently pointed out to them, and which after weeks they still haven’t corrected. It’s sad, really. I had a lot of respect for the old site and community.
Anyway, I also finished up the Butterfly Bloomers with Bows! I drafted the pattern to my friend’s measurements using this tutorial, which is very straightforward and easy to follow. She picked out this fabulously soft and cute (although wrinkly, I had JUST ironed them and folded them when I decided I should take a couple of pictures) white-on-white butterfly print.
My friend and I both have a similar sensitivity to having elastic around the backs of our knees, so she had the idea to leave a small gap in the elastic at the back, and tie it shut with a bow. Here’s a detail where you can see, if you look verrrrrry closely, how the 3″ gap is tied shut with the ribbon:
Love that Venetian lace! It was surprisingly easy to work with.
We watched most of the episodes of Legend of the Seeker while I worked, and it’s not the Best Show Evar (B says they’ve departed wildly from the books), but it’s got great characters, beautiful scenery, lighting, and cinematography, and of course, delicious costumes!
I particularly love Kahlan’s Confessor dress (she can really get that thing flying in the fight sequences), Zedd’s Wizard’s robes, and of COURSE the Mord Sith’s highly impractical yet somehow utilitarian leather getups.
Jane Holland is the costume designer for the show, and if it’s got a familiar feel, well, she did Xena and Hurcules back in the day. But more recently, she did the costumes for Underworld, and I see a new level of sophistication and detailing in her work on this show that I didn’t notice before. I think part of it is thematic – Xena and Hercules were both often tongue-in-cheek, but B has been forcing me to watch Xena (yay Neflix watch-it-now!) and I’m enjoying it more than I thought I would. And I did catch myself lusting after a kimono-style dressing gown she wore in a dream sequence.