I don’t have pics of the Corset Day, but everyone had fun and I learned a few things:
- I have a bit of a longer torso than the Laughing Moon underbust corset pattern predicted. I’ll add an inch around the bottom of it to get the waist up into the right spot and still get a tiny bit of hip coverage.
- I sew pretty fast!
- I am not the only anal-retentive sewing-person in the world. There is something so satisfying about ironing each seam flat.
- There is still lots for me to learn.
- I need a dress form.
So I’ve got a nice little mockup and a point to get to before the next Corset Day. I will have my actual outside fabric cut, lengthened, and sewn together. I think my pattern also calls for flat lining – sewing lining and fabric pieces together prior to construction. Not to be confused with flatlining!
I enjoyed it so much. It reminded me a lot of the costume classes in college, or even the concentrated camaraderie of my studio drawing classes. Everyone’s got their own project, we joke back and forth, time seems to go more slowly. It’s one of the few situations when I’ve been able to completely give myself over to the moment.
I think I was still high from Corset Day when I started on the Polonaise mockup-mockup. Yes, I caved. The pattern insists that you make a mockup of the bodice of the piece, and I did. Thank goodness. You’ll see why.
First, I nearly suffocated under the weight of all those (real paper!) pattern pieces. They have you cut out different sized fronts and backs, depending on your measurements, which I thought was really brilliant.
Then I got out my Good Sewing Scissors (shining like justice!), used my trusty pattern weights to keep the pieces in place (sun dried tomatoes and salt, delish.) and proceeded to cut out the pattern pieces. AND THE DARTS.
Ugh. That was dumb, and I knew in the back of my head I was doin’ it wrong. I sewed it up anyway, to get the gist and learn from my mistake, etc.
Not bad! I’ll probably unpick the darts, patch them a bit, and resew them fairly close to the cuts. Or I might just recut those pieces, and end them just below the hip. You can’t see them here, but the fronts go below knee level and I just can’t justify wasting that much fabric.
I may finish off this mockup one day, the fabric’s color is kind of meh, but I could dye it, and I love the lacy flowers.
Next week: repair/recut the front pieces, fit the darts, cut out the copper fashion fabric for the Steampunk mockup. Maybe even sew it up!
I also need to make some trim decisions. I’m thinking just ribbon on the edges and maybe another farther away from the edges. I’ll probably try my hand at knife pleats using the cool Truly Victorian fork method (video).